Buerton, referred to as Burtune in the Doomsday book, is broadly divided between two areas, one based on the township of Buerton and the other based on Highfields Manor which occupies the higher ground to the south east.
The township of Buerton was once held by a family of that name and then subsequently divided between two manors one of which, Buerton Hall, is still standing.
The Highfields Estate is first mentioned in 1553 and was then in the possession of Hugh Chester of Shropshire but has subsequently passed through the hands of several local families, the latest of which has held ownership, on and off since 1736.
Buerton has remained throughout its history unaffected by national or international events. At the battle of Bloore Heath in 1459, it is rumoured that combatants used Woodhouse Lane and that some of the dead are buried there. Then, during the civil war in 1643, the area was plundered by Prince Rupert's army on their way to Nantwich.
In 1767 the Whitchurch to Madeley turnpike was established passing through Buerton along the line of the existing A525.
Although Buerton no longer has a public house, there were several until the first half of the 20th century such as the Coach and Horses on the turnpike, established in 1778, the Leather Bottle in Woodhouse Lane, The Whynot at Kinsey and The Wolf in Hankins Heys.
Buerton is in the ecclesiastical parish of Audlem St James and this was the only place of worship until a Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1813 and a Free Gospel Chapel in 1885 which reflects the Methodist surge here and in the surrounding districts, particularly Stoke on Trent from where preachers came on a regular basis.
The late 19th century education acts resulted in the establishment of a C of E school in 1870, which due to changing demographics closed in 2006.
Despite the industrial revolution no industries apart from those associated with agriculture, such as a smithy, have ever been established and it thought that this may have been due to a lack of a substantial watercourse through the parish or minerals to be exploited beneath the fields. The only corn mill in the parish was a windmill, the body of which is now a residence and is a Grade II listed building.
Buerton boasts 12 listed buildings which is unusual for a village of this size, the most notable being the Grade I listed timber framed country house on the Highfields Estate that dates from 1615.
Photo of old Buerton Windmill courtesy of Gareth Hughes.